Swaffham’s fine Georgian buildings are a reminder that this town has long been a commercial centre – reputed to be a one-time favourite of Lord Nelson. Amongst its more famous sons was Howard Carter, the Egyptologist who discovered Tutankhamun, celebrated in the town museum.
There is a bustling Saturday Market and twice monthly Farmer's Market held on the 1st & 3rd Sunday in each month. Visitors to Sunday’s Farmers’ Market will be tempted by a range of tasty treats including local cheese, rare breed pork, artisan breads, real ales, cider, pork pies, cakes, tarts and elderflower champagne.
The church of St Peter and Paul, is one of the finest medieval churches with its magnificent double hammer-beam angel roof and carvings depicting the Pedlar of Swaffham, John Chapman.
Visit the EcoTech centre and climb up the 300 steps inside the wind turbine to enjoy the superb views as far as Ely Cathedral and enjoy their organic gardens.
Other local attractions, activities and entertainment include Westacre Theatre, Gooderstone Water Gardens, the Iceni Village, wild life and nature reserves, local gardens (National Garden Scheme), fishing, golf (course in Swaffham plus championship courses locally), walking and bird watching.
In nearby Thetford Forest visit Go Ape, Grime's Graves, hire a bike and enjoy horse riding.
- 0 miles from Oakleigh House - Peter Kingdom's Office!
- 4 miles from Castle Acre Priory
- 7 miles from Oxborough Hall - National Trust
- 15 miles from Royal Sandringham
- 15 miles from the Norfolk Arena, King’s Lynn
- 18 miles from Fakenham Racecourse, Fakenham
- 19 miles from Pensthorpe Wildlife and Gardens
- 23 miles from the Norfolk Showground, Norwich
- 27 miles from Snetterton Race Circuit & Market
- 28 miles from the fine city of Norwich
- 32 miles from Carrow Road, Home to Norwich City Football Club